Thursday, September 11, 2008

I Will Never Forget....

Can you believe it has been 7 years??? I will never forget that day, I was home sick and woke up to turn on the Price is Right and instead saw coverage of the twin towers. I remember calling my dad and Tommy crying to see if they had heard. It was a scary feeling. Why would someone do this to us? What else was planned? I was glued to the tv all day as I watched and listened to coverage. So many innocent people lost there lives that day. So many heroes. I always picture those men and women in the twin towers rushing and fighting down those stairs to reach freedom, to reach "safe" ground and all those men and women with badges and carrying hoses that were running and scrambling in the opposite direction to reach those in need of help, without thinking twice. No one knew what was in store, No one knew those towers would fall but they didn't hesitate. What heroism. And to the people aboard those flights, we will never know what truly happened on those flights, but I can only imagine the fear and the courage. Some say we have kept it alive,and kept it alive too long, reopening wounds and reliving tragedy. Others afraid it will revert to just another day on the calendar. The fact is that September 11th happened, it is know apart of our history as the United States and as the world. Maybe the memorials and tributes will die down but I do not feel it is a day that should ever be forgotten. Tommy and I were able to visit ground zero and it is an experience I will never forget. It is amazing to be there and be surrounded by so many people, the busy new york life yet complete silence and respect. It was humbling to visit the cathedral right across the street from the twin towers (which was COMPLETELY untouched) and to walk inside and see all the pictures, tributes and memorials to those men and woman who lost there lives that day. I can not imagine the pain of those family and friends that lost there loved ones that day. I am so grateful to have all my family and friends safe, to know we as Americans have come so far from that horrific day, that we have men and woman serving our country and protecting us, risking there lives day in and day out. I am forever grateful and I will continue to remember and pay respects for those lives lost on September 11th.

3 comments:

stephanie said...

Beautiful memorial, Er. I too have had the day seven years ago on my mind today. On the morning of Sept. 11th I was eating cereal when Mom called to tell me to turn on the TV. I was so stunned. Mike was in the shower and I raced up the stairs to tell him to hurry finish and get out to watch with me. The world has never been the same. I also remember vividly when I looked up to see an airplane in the sky after having nothing flying above our heads for the first time in my lifetime. The flag stood on our lawn today and the kids and I listened to a patriotic CD this morning as we got ready and ate breakfast. We spontaneously sang along to "God Bless the USA." I am proud to be an American. I won't forget the men and women who died. I am grateful to those fighting now. I do love this land. . .may God bless the USA!

ellemenopii said...

Thank you for posting this. I will also never forget. I remember every second of what happened that morning and it replays in my head all the time. The hours and days following I was glued to the tv and just watched whatever coverage I could find and I just sat there speechless. Seeing the images over and over again. I wasn't sleeping or eating for days on end. I am tearing up just thinking about it. I am glad you wrote about it on your blog. Thank you!

ellemenopii said...

Tag! You've been tagged! Check out my blog!
-Shanyn