Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Tricky Little Leprechauns

So Saint Patrick's Day was a little bit of a big deal this year. Caleb came home from school asking if we could make a trap for the leprechauns. His friends were talking about it at school. The leprechauns have always visited us but we have never done a trap before so we made a stop at papas work to pick out a box and Caleb and Bailey got busy. They came up with a great trap on their own. I made the grass and wrote on the trap but as directed :) The rest of the day and night all Caleb talked about were the Leprechauns and. It was nonstop. He kept insisting that he was going to wait up for the leprechauns, we had to make it very clear that they only come if you are sleeping. Caleb was up bright and early and was so excited to see that we had been visited during the night. He was so funny, he would run down the hall see something and run back to tell us and then go back and discover something else and run back to tell us. Caleb also set up a gate around the trap the night before and was SO EXCITED to find out that the leprechauns knocked it down. We had some silly visitors. we woke up to green milk, green toilet water, shamrocks all over the floors and ceilings, glitter and dust, Lucky Charms, lots of little green footprints and of course they left a note and pots of gold filled with goodies. We all dressed up in our green, as to not get pinched. The leprechauns also left us all bracelets to sport. I thought maybe some of the excitement would wear off before I picked up Caleb from school but he came running out of his class with arms in the air and said, "Mom you will not believe this, the leprechauns came to our classroom and made a bigger mess than at our house." He proceeded to tell us how they turned over chairs, had magic dust everywhere, mixed up their centers, etc. He was too funny this year. Bailey was having a blast with everything as well. We went over to my parents later that night to watch the BYU game and have our traditional St. Patrick's dinner of corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, carrots and cornbread. It was just my parents, the kids and I this year. The corned beef was SO GOOD this year! After we ate we watched BYU play and beat Wofford to move on to the next round...GO COUGS!! We had some mint chocolate chip ice cream pie before heading home to bed. My dad mentioned as we were leaving that he had never seen such excitement for Saint Patrick's day that did not involve beer :) HAHA, I am part to blame. I always make holidays a big deal at our house. Why not right??? If we are given one special day a month to celebrate then why not make it a big deal no matter what the holiday. I LOVE doing it!! I love to see the excitement in their eyes and to see the smile on their faces. I love that I am creating memories for them and memories that hopefully will even be passed on to my grand kids one day. The kids look forward to every holiday and I love to make it extra special for them! Happy St. Patricks Day to you all!

5 comments:

Heather and Kyle said...

you guys do go all out. Don't tell Ethan cause I am not sure I can do all that!

stephanie said...

Totally rockin' holiday. The toilet water was a good trick. Alyssa was excited to see you got Lucky Charms, glitter and green footprints too---but a bit bummed to see Tricky and Lucky left baskets of goodies. Guess we need to leave out more gold next year so we can fare better! Glad to see Josh's shirt on Caleb (I loved that shirt, so handsome.) Wish we could've enjoyed that corned beef. Next year.

Mike and Lillian Montoya said...

What a fun holiday! Love the excitement from Caleb :) I think its great you make every holiday so fun and exciting for the kids, there is nothing better than the happiness it brings them and Im sure they still talk about it weeks after, just in time for another holiday :)

Leo said...

you are such a fun and creative mommy. lucky kids. this year, my kids were lucky i even remembered! :)

chingchong7 said...

You are too cute! You always have fun things for every holiday!!